Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Alarm Clock Mayhem



Greetings friends!!! Monday night was a pretty normal for Miller 1st standards. After lots of randomness I decided to call it a night. It was about 2 a.m. My first class on Tuesday was at 12:45 p.m., but I decided to set my alarm for 10 a.m. in order to get some work done. At 7:45 a.m. the next morning, my roommate’s “siren” alarm wakes me up, but with a slight grunt, I go back to sleep. At 10:00 a.m., my alarm goes off. I’m not ready to wake up, so I reset my alarm for 10:30. 10:30 comes, and I’m still not ready to wake up! Now I set my alarm for 11:30, not such a good idea. The next time I wake up is not to an alarm. I look at the clock and it’s 1 p.m.!! I overslept for a 12:45 class!! I guess I just became resistant to that alarm and ignored it, or just turned it off subconsciously.
Now what did I learn from this? Well, I want to tell myself that my brain perceives cell phone alarms as quieter each time they ring, but that’s just to make myself feel better about oversleeping for a 12:45 p.m. class. From now on, I will wake up the first time my alarm goes off, no matter how tired I feel. I can apply this to my studies as well. I need to get things done at the first chance I get, rather than putting stuff off until later because I’m tired or would just rather be doing something else. Getting my priorities straight is essential to my success in college, and waking up on time is a good start.

1 comment: